Preparation and Aftercare
Please note: Clients should call or email FTBT if they have anymore questions that were not answered after reading Preparation and Aftercare.
The night before your Tan
- Please shave or wax your legs the night before your tan.
- Moisturize really well before bed.
- Exfoliate THOROUGHLY as well. This will remove dead skin and provide a new, smooth surface for your tan. Exfoliating helps to promote even coverage and lengthens the duration of the tan.
- DO NOT USE DOVE PRODUCTS! Dove soap and Dove lotions leave a film on your skin that directly leads to a blotchy tan.
The day of your Tan
- Review and Sign the Re-lease Form (available at the studio when you sign in).
- Remove make-up, moistur-izer, perfume and deodor-ant before your application.
- It is recommended that you wear dark, loose fitting clothing. Solution washes out of most clothing very easily but tends to stain nylon and Lycra materials; therefore, dark colored underwear is recommended.
- A woman’s tan can be directly affected by her hormones. Considering her cycle, it can cause blotchi-ness or the color not to develop as dark as nor-mally. It’s not common, but it happens.
- Oily skin types usually develop lighter and require an extra spray after 24-48 hours to get your base color.
We have found that the following products will lighten or make an airbrush tan spotty:
- Dove soap and Dove products
- Hair thinning lotion or removing lotion
- Anti-aging products or AHA’s
- Beta Hydroxy Acids-salicylic acid
- Retin-A type products (Retin-A, Renova, Tazorac, Tretinoin)
- Toners containing alcohols or witch hazel
- Anti-acne products(Accutane, salicylic acid)
- Facial masks and scrubs
- Pore cleansing facial strips
- Wax depilatories
- Depilatory products
- Bleach products for body hair
- Hot tubs, chlorine and salt water
- Bug sprays – try to spray your clothes instead of you. If you must have it on you, spray a “cloud” to go through.
- Let your tan set for at least 7-8 hours (overnight if pos-sible) before showering or taking a bath. This allows your tan to develop.
- Avoid wearing socks or shoes after your tanning session in order to allow the tan to develop properly on your feet.
- Avoid applying moisturizers or deodorants.
- Avoid wearing tight cloth-ing for at least 5 hours. This includes tighter-fitting jeans, bras, spandex, tight blouses and shoes/socks.
- All swimming, showering and vigorous exercise must be avoided for at least 5 hours as sweating can inhibit the development of your tan.
- Do not shave for 12 hours after your treatment.
- Beware wearing long boots after tanning as these can make your tan patchy on your legs.
Remember: When you take a shower or a bath you will probably see some color wash off. Don’t worry. This is quite normal as it is only the color guide that the spray tan technician uses when the tan is applied. You will be left with a gorgeous tan.
Maintaining the Tan
It is recommended you follow these general guidelines to maintain your tan:
- Moisturize regularly.
- Avoid long hot baths and showers as these speed up exfoliation.
- Pat your skin dry after a bath or shower. Rubbing your skin may rub off your tan.
- Avoid swimming pools and seawater, as these can reduce your tan.
- Try to always have a fresh new razor for shaving.
For additional tips please see our Tips From Heather page.
Make sure you speak with your Spray Technician if you have any questions relating to your tan and maintaining it. Questions about general preparation and aftercare can also be answered by calling us at the studio of your choice or by email (see list below).